Learning Target: Develop a common vision for success in your volunteer placement that demonstrates an understanding of where you will volunteer, the needs of the people you serve, and the skills you will need to utilize.
- Read the “Dear Replacement” letters that are inside the folder Mr. Soeder and Mrs. Trentanelli share in class.
- Discuss the following questions within your small group:
- What did you learn about past PSL students and their experiences based on their “Dear Replacement” letters? How will you apply that knowledge to your upcoming service experience? Be specific.
- Reflect of Natalie Warne’s TED Talk “Being Young and Making and Impact.” How might her advice guide the way you approach your service this year?
- What part of volunteering are you most excited about? What concerns or questions do you have?
- In your PSL notebook, summarize the key ideas of one relevant letter, and explain how you might apply that advice to your upcoming service experience. Be specific. Make sure to create a heading titled "Dear Replacement" and note today's date to help keep your notebook organized.
- Return all letters to your assigned folder, and return to Mrs. Trentanelli or Mr. Soeder by the end of class.